Construction Supervisor

Prepare to take the Massachusetts Construction Supervisors Unrestricted License Exam. Only a person licensed by the Massachusetts Board of Building Regulations and Standards may supervise the construction and renovation of all one and two family dwellings and all buildings containing less than 35,000 cubic feet of enclosed space.

You must have 3 years of full time construction or design experience to qualify to take the state exam. A score of 70% is required to successfully pass the exam.

Textbooks Requirement: Students must bring the following books to class – exam questions are based on these references allowed in the testing center for your use while taking the Construction Supervisor Exam:

  1. Code of Federal Regulations, Title 29, Part 1926 (OSHA), Most Current July Revision
  2. International Building Code, 2018
  3. International Energy Conservation Code, 2018
  4. International Residential Code for One and Two Family Dwellings, 2018
  5. Massachusetts State Building Code for One and Two Family Dwellings (780 CMR), Ninth Edition
  6. Massachusetts State Building Code Base Volume (Commercial), 780 CMR, Ninth Edition
  7. Architectural Access Board Rules and Regulations (521 CMR)

Time: Saturdays, 9 am – noon, October 6 – November 10, 2018
Cost: $345 (class only) or $795 (includes all 7 textbooks)


For 1- and 2-family houses of any size

  • A licensed construction supervisor must oversee construction

For most existing 1- to 4-family owned homes

  • A licensed construction supervisor must oversee construction
  • A contractor must also register for the home improvement program

For buildings less than 35,000 cubic ft.

  • A licensed construction supervisor must oversee construction including for manufactured buildings

For buildings greater than 35,000 cubic ft.

  • A registered engineer or architect must control the construction of larger buildings
  • No contractor license is necessary per MA building code
  • Check with local building officials for additional licensing requirements

Out of state contractors

  • Licensing is only required as described above
  • Out of state contractor licenses are not recognized in MA
  • A few larger municipalities have more licensing requirements – Contact the local building official for more info
  • The building code applies to all municipalities in MA
%d bloggers like this: